Sunday, July 19, 2009

Selling Things Sucks

Lauralyn and I have been putting alot of our stuff up for sale in the last few months. I sold some wonderful pieces of gear a few months ago because I was working on my arduinome and I didn't want to have too much gear clogging up my workflow, so I tend to keep my personal belongings at a minimum. But still - we have so much crap to get rid of! Old nintendo games, a modded xbox, mixers, not to mention lots of clothes, fabric, and notions. And the sad part is, its hard enough to just find someone to give them to! I suppose you can just set all of this stuff by the curb and people might grab some, and the rest goes to the dump, but there is something immoral about that to me.

First of all, these items are useful and even valuable to some people, so even if you are a diehard capitalist consumer you should feel a twinge of disgust when you see people throwing stuff away. But it happens all the time! Almost all of our furniture was gotten extremely cheaply or free, via dumpstering or garage sales or whathaveyou. But just looking at our situation, or when you have had to help friends move, or just driving on a highway and seeing countless 'public storage' businesses tells you that people have too much crap! And every time I give something away, or get a few bucks for it, I just feel that weight off my shoulders. We are freaking out about our trip, but not because we don't speak much Japanese, or that it will be hard to find food. It's because we need to get rid of all of our shit! And its pretty sad... :(

We were invited to a party called Bridge 2 Nowhere next weekend, so if we get our act together by then we get to party, one last hurrah before leaving the US. A friend of ours also did a little going away party for us at a secluded lil' river beach here in Portland and it was amazing! A pic of my new minimal DJ setup with my new lead-free, green, and vegan (probably?) controller :)

No comments:

Post a Comment