Tuesday, September 8, 2009

My 2 favorite things about Shinjuku!

Japan has been pretty good to us lately, and although Laura has a bit of a bug due to some late night partying, we have been having a lot of fun. Yesterday, we wandered over to Shinjuku, and it has officially become my favorite spot in Tokyo. There are numerous great things about it, like the proximity to the beautiful Yoyogi Park, and the great Taito Game Center with the loosest claw machines in Tokyo, but two other things really stand out: Loving Hut and MYLORD BOX.

Loving Hut is a chain of restaurants, now both in Asia and the US that is affiliated with the Supreme Master thing. Now, I could do a whole entry on the weirdness that is Supreme Master, but these restaurants are pretty solid. The restaurant is a bit of a walk down Shinjuku-dori, in 'Yotsuya San-chome'. The first time we went, I got a great burger set that came with amazing soup and tons of little side dishes. Laura had the Zen Plate which to me looked like a giant piece of (vegan) eel sushi. Both were amazing, and so we went back about a week ago on a Sunday.







On Sundays, they do a set meal, so you pretty much come in, sit down and they bring food out pretty quickly. It comes with some delicious summer rolls w/ vegan mayo, that amazing soup, croquettes, yuba, and some scrumptious gyoza :) It was so good that we had to go back the following Sunday, following a strange modelling gig for Brutus magazine that I got picked up off the street for. I had to diet a bit to fit into the clothes for the shoot, but it was worth it because I got to chow down on some Loving Hut afterwards and Laura made me a huuuuge batch of Japanese curry :D



Another amazing thing in Shinjuku is this weird installation on Mosaic Street, right near the station and the Odakyu department store. Its a huge lightup cube named "MYLORD BOX" that has sensors all over it, and it displays various interactive pixel visualizations. It has to be seen to be believed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-5lh7aB7vk&feature=related

I will try to find out more about the MYLORD BOX, since it might be my favorite piece of art ever :)

No comments:

Post a Comment